Tuesday, June 26, 2012

When Nature Strike





Heavy rain poured all through the night of June 28, 2011 that causes a flash flood in some areas of Davao City. I was having a training as a phlebotomist in one of the hospital here in our City. As my way home that night slow yet continuous rain poured, heavy traffic with different car accidents in various places that I passed and the water in the bridge is starting to over flow. 





We thought it was just ordinary situation we experience when heavy rain poured like before.

It was almost 2am in the morning when I woke up and heard my mother in her loudest voice. She was talking to my auntie living near in the river where the water over flows the bridge that I recently cross. Flash flood my mother told us. Few houses was swept away by the strong current of water coming from the mountains. 





The only communication we had to know the things have been happening in our city was the radio. Every now and then my mother checked the situation where my auntie located
She was separated from her four children, because they (her husband) are trying to save their things and the pigs my mother asked them to take cared of.


It was almost 5 am, I saw the sun rising and I was preparing to go on duty. Few jeepneys are running, I thought maybe because of the rain last night. But when we reach the area where the flash flood happened I was shocked. Jeepneys and cars are moving slowly. The traffic I experience was about 2-3 hours.That's the time I saw cars are inside the garage of another house, some are parked upside down,some bumped to each other .Wreck gates and houses houses are cover with mud,  some . 






I was devastated looking into the families watching there wreck properties.  It was a nightmare not just to them but to all of us dabaweños. A tragedy that killed many people most of them are children.